Homeowners across America and in Richmond, VA are making the switch from asphalt shingle roofs to metal roofs for many reasons. Metal roofs can last 75 years or more compared to the 20 to 25 years the best asphalt shingle roofs can manage, and they are environmentally friendly as well. Instead of ending up in landfills, old metal roofing materials are entirely recyclable, and most of the leading manufacturers of metal roofing materials use recycled materials to fabricate new metal roof panels and shingles.
Metal roofs are also fantastic long-term investments for virtually any homeowner. They increase a home’s energy efficiency, boost property value, and require minimal maintenance. Metal roofs have a slightly higher cost of installation, but they more than make up for the cost difference with the many benefits they provide homeowners. Despite all these incredible benefits, some homeowners are still hesitant to explore metal roofing opportunities due to misconceptions about the design options available with metal roofs.
Are Metal Roofs Customizable?
It’s common for Virginia homeowners to imagine standing seam metal roofs when they think about upgrading to metal roofs. This is the industry standard for metal roof installation, and it’s common to see the standing seam style on commercial buildings that have upgraded to metal roofs. Many homeowners do not like the look of standing seam metal roofs, especially homeowners who own older homes in classic styles. The sterile and uniform look of a standing seam metal roof may look just fine on a home with very modern architecture but might look entirely out of place on an older Victorian or Tudor style home.
Luckily, standing seams are not the only varieties of metal roofs available. It’s possible to match a metal roof perfectly to virtually any style of home in any part of the country:
- If you enjoy the traditional look of asphalt shingle roofs, you can easily replicate it with a new metal roof. Instead of standing seam panels, your metal roof installation team can install dimensional shingles instead. It’s possible to match the color and shape of these shingles to match the other exterior features of your home for a timeless and cohesive look of asphalt shingles with all the benefits of a metal roof.
- There are many types of dimensional metal shingles for roofs. If you want a shingled appearance for your home but want something a bit different than the typical look of asphalt shingles, you can have a metal roof installed made of shingles with various profile heights. Higher profile shingles tend to create a more rustic appearance, while low-profile interlocking shingles can create a unique and contemporary look that’s perfect for many different types of homes.
- For coastal homeowners, cedar shake is a traditional and beautiful roofing option. These small, somewhat irregularly shaped shingles are not only aesthetically pleasing but also stand up rather well to moisture and strong winds from storms by the sea. If you want the look of cedar shake without the typical issues this roofing option entails, it’s possible to purchase metal roof shingles that resemble wood shake shingles in various colors. These metal shakes are not prone to rot and warping like wood.
- If you love the look of Spanish tile, you’re in luck if you decide to install a new metal roof. You can have a Spanish tile-style metal roof that looks just like the real thing. Instead of terracotta tiles, you will have metal roof tiles with the signature curvature of Spanish tiles.
- You can replicate the appearance of a slate roof without the high cost and extreme weight a standard stone tile roof would incur. Slate roofs are sleek, extremely durable, and instantly add significant value to any home. Metal roofs made of stone-like tiles offer the best of both worlds, providing homeowners with the look and feel of a slate roof with all of the proven benefits of a metal roof.
- Although some homeowners are turned off by the vertical arrangement of standing seam metal roofs, the reality is that this metal roofing option is highly versatile and can work well with many different types of homes. Standing seam metal roofs are available in various colors and materials, and different seam widths can accentuate the architecture of many different kinds of homes.
There are many varieties of metal roofs available to Richmond homeowners throughout the country, and it’s easier than many people realize to match a new metal roof to a home. Additionally, there is no rule that you need to stick with a specific type of roof based on your home’s construction. It’s possible to choose an unconventional style and/or color to create something beautiful and unique that allows you to enjoy the benefits a metal roof offers.
Choosing the Right Metal Roof for Your Virginia Home
If you are ready to make the switch and upgrade your home with a new metal roof, it’s essential to weigh your design options carefully. The traditional shingle-style appearance works very well on older homes with classic constructions. Contemporary homes work nicely with standing seam or slate-style roofs, and cedar shake-style metal shingles are ideal in coastal or rural areas on beach houses, bungalows, and rural ranches.
Color is another important consideration. If you are upgrading to a metal roof, you don’t necessarily need to feel constrained by the exterior colors on your home; it’s always possible to change other aspects of your home’s exterior for a completely cohesive look.
Once you decide to invest in a new metal roof for your Richmond home, take time to find an experienced metal roofing contractor with the knowledge and experience to help you determine the best metal roof styles for your home. Your roofer can introduce you to different styles of metal roofs in various finishes so you can achieve the exterior look for your home that you want. Be sure to carefully evaluate all your options and remember that your new metal roof can last 75 years or more, so it’s a good idea to choose a metal roof style that you’re sure you love.